United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Finance and Administrative Assistant
Job ID: 11186
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: Initial duration of one year
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
- This position is based within the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Nigeria (CONIG).
- The incumbent will be responsible for providing operational and administrative support to the project.
- Working under the direct supervision of the Project Finance Officer, and the guidance of the Project Coordinator as well as the Finance Officer (CONIG) the incumbent will be responsible for assisting the Project Core Team with organizing travels, supporting organization of events, organizing workshops, preparing documents for dissemination, and providing secretarial support for the project.
- S/he will also provide support in all financial aspects of the project, as shall be deemed expedient.
Duties and Responsibilities
Description of Specific Responsibilities:
- Provide financial support services to the project, including assisting in preparing budgets and financial reports
- Undertake business finance process mapping and ensure proper accounting for project expenditures
- Ensure proper cash management, including assistance to the Finance Officer in managing and disbursing project related cash
- Process payment requests and documents in a timely manner for execution
- Assist in the preparation, monitoring, and management of technical contracts for the provision of goods and services
- Initiate activities leading to procurement, maintenance, monitoring and disposal of items
- Assist in ensuring that internal control systems are observed and all relevant records and files are maintained
- Carry out various administrative tasks in support of the project, including managing correspondence, keeping appointments, arranging various meetings, ordering for supplies, and other related tasks
- Assist in implementation of project activities, such as workshops, meetings, press events, and training including liaison with counterpart agencies, at appropriate levels, to ensure cooperation/coordination of project activities and alert supervisors on problems and opportunities arising during project implementation
- Assist in preparing Receipt and Inspection (R & I) reports for submission to relevant procurement units and auditing missions
- Adapt and implement processes and procedures to ensure full compliance with UN, UNODC and UNDP rules, regulations, financial records, reports, audit requirements, and internal controls
- Ensure effective and efficient administration of budget and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system
- Review, prepare, and defend requests to the committee on contracts (CC) as may be required
- Undertake asset management and inventory
- Assists with engagement processes of consultants, facilitators, interns, volunteers and other individuals/experts required for project implementation.
- Perform other related tasks, as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Senior Secondary Education Certificate, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, is an added advantage but it is not a requirement.
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressive experience in finance, administration, budget preparation, budget monitoring and analysis are required.
- Experience in UN/UNDP financial procedures is an asset. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, MS Publisher, etc.) is also required.
- Experience in ATLAS, FOML and UMOJA systems will be considered a plus.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS an asset. Knowledge of European Union financial procedures an advantage.
- Up-to-date knowledge and practical experience of auditing approaches and practices, especially of public or international institutions is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in English, with excellent drafting skills, is essential.
- Knowledge of other main languages in Nigeria would be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of concepts and approaches relevant to budgetary and financial management; demonstrable knowledge of database administration;
- Extensive knowledge of the financial rules and regulations of the United Nations as well as familiarity with UN policies and procedures as they relate to programme budgeting and financial administration;
- Demonstrable commitment to the values of the United Nations, particularly integrity in daily activities and behaviours;
- Ability to map out potential risks and make contingencies, as required;
- Shows pride in work and achievements;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Demonstrated professional competence and mastery of administrative processes;
- Ability to perform a range of administrative functions, including event planning and organizing and human resources administration;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Takes ownership of responsibilities and honours commitments;
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards;
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
- Takes responsibility for delegated assignments;
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda; support and acts in accordance with final group decision , even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own positions;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside UNODC;
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from the clients’ point of view;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands;
- Able to maintain tight deadlines;
- Knowledge of how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click here to apply
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Application Deadline: 7th August, 2017.